Thursday, September 13, 2012

Reality TV: X-Factor vs America's Got Talent

I'm watching the finale of America's Got Talent. Passing on X-Factor for tonight. Interesting there are two shows so similar...with a few differences.

It's as if everyone has forgotten that if you want to be a star you have to work for it. Many people try out for these two shows and if they don't make it they think their lives are over. There is more than one way to make it in the entertainment businesses. Most of the people from these shows disappear, not many have long lasting careers. American Idol seems to be the exception.

Judges

X-Factor

Simon Cowell, Britney Spears, LA Reece, and Demi Lovato. I didn't know what to expect with Britney Spears but she seems to be doing an okay job so far. I have only watched one episode. It really looks like she has come through the other side relatively sane. I still love Simon. I like his honesty. He seems nicer on here than he did on American Idol.

America's Got Talent

Howard Stern, Howie Mandel and Sharon Osbourne. I was pleasantly surprise by Howard Stern and find him quite entertaining. I have loved Howie Mandel for ages and I really like Mrs O.

Contestants

There were some great singers on yesterday's X-Factor. They had an interesting piece about showing one woman contestant and her sister making snide comments about other singers. Of course, the contestant was awful and didn't even get past the first audition. The woman they were laughing about having a run in her stocking was amazing and all the judges loved her. I should have known that is the way it would end.

America's Got Talent has a variety of acts in the finals. A comedian, a dance troupe, a singer, an artist, a dog act and I'm not sure what else. Like last year's winner, I don't expect to see the winner again. I'm rooting for either the dog act or the comedian.

Watching these shows is a nice pastime and you sometimes get to witness some amazing talent. They are both somehow more entertaining than American Idol, which takes itself so seriously these days. I am not impressed with the new judges chosen for this year's show and may not be watching. I had gotten to the point where I was just watching the auditions and losing interest after that.


No comments:

Post a Comment