Sunday, September 2, 2012

Goodbye summer

Margerit


Summer is fading away, on its last legs. Not a cloud in the sky and as hot as a day in August. The Ex is over for another year. I haven't been in years but it was always part of my summer as a teenager. You know when the Ex was over that school beckoned. It was not a happy time for me. But the Ex was fun and that was all that mattered. I saw the best concerts of my life at the Ex: David Cassidy, The Beach Boys, The Police; and Bruce Springsteen.

The very first time I went to the Ex was in 1969. It was our first summer in Toronto. I won a huge pink furry cat. I held onto that thing for years. In later years, I went with my friend Lyn and then Anne.

September was always a stressful time for me. School was not a great time. I am thankful that high school is far behind me. College was much better, I hit my stride there. I discovered then that I had some talent for writing. Although, I did write poems throughout my teens. I still have the grey notebook I wrote them in. I'll have to go find them again.


1 comment:

  1. The end of summer elicits special feelings in all of us. I'd just been thinking the other day that I used to love going shopping with my mother at the end of summer for the new school-year essentials. A pencil case, a pair of shoes, two or three new dresses, a sweater, and some underwear. This was a long time ago, when little girls were required to wear dresses to school. Thanks for priming the memories, Susan. :)

    ReplyDelete